Knob and tube wiring is generally safe and if it has been properly installed and maintained it does not pose an imminent danger to your family or your home. Knob and tube wiring is not permitted in any current construction. Most of the danger that comes from knob and tube wiring is because of improperly installed insulation around the wiring. Some local codes mandate that the old wiring be replaced with new Romex-type wire when you do a service upgrade or list your house for sale. Typically the requirement of removal is only for accessible locations, such as a basement without a ceiling.
Many homes that have knob and tube wiring lack the electrical capacity to power a home with all of today’s modern conveniences.
Knob and tube wiring should not be used in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, powder rooms or outdoors because it cannot be properly grounded, as there is no ground wire.
If you have questions about knob and tube wiring in your home, one of our electricians can walk through your home to safety check your wiring and make recommendations about the current state of the wiring or any work that could or should be done to keep your home and family safe.
As a precaution we recommend that you check your homeowner’s policy to ensure that your house is properly covered in the event that the wiring was at fault in the event of a claim.