When you make the investment in your landscaping or your deck/patio why not design lighting to show off your investment and so you can enjoy your investment at night time as well as show off to your neighbors! There are a lot of decisions to be made but Shafnisky Electric can provide you the guidance you need to help streamline your project and save you time. One of the first decisions is to decide if you want low-voltage LED or line-voltage lighting.
Low-Voltage LED Lighting – Pros & Cons:
- Typically 12-24-volt.
- Typically safer than line voltage.
- More expensive light fixture cost but Less labor time for installation because the wire can be buried as low as six inches.
- Most popular install for residential applications.
- Fixtures can be much smaller than line-voltage.
- Many more options and possibilities for those “unique” or “hard-to-reach” projects.
- More energy efficient than most installations. Saves on your electric bill and maintenance.
Line-voltage Lighting – Pros & Cons:
- Typically 120-volt.
- Less expensive light fixture cost but more labor time for installation because the wire needs to be buried a minimum of twelve inches.
- Maintenance can be as easy as simply replacing a defective light bulb.
- More lighting options available for the same fixture because the lamps are interchangeable.
- Higher wattages are available for line-voltage fixtures.
Up-lighting, down-lighting, shadowing, silhouetting, wall washing and moonlighting are some terms used when designing the installation for your project. Not every lighting technique will be used on every project but when designed properly your project will “pop” at night!
Technology has come a long way and you have a lot of options on the controller for your landscape lighting. Time clocks are pretty standard but there are small wall box controls that give you more options such as independent seven-day operation with individual on/off times for each day. You can install controls that you can have access from your phone/tablet from anywhere you have internet access.
When you are ready to set up an appointment to review your project please call our office to set up a consultation.